Today I am reviewing products from Anthology Candles, a company owned by Rheney Williams and her husband Stephen. Their soy products are whimsically inspired by music, movies, & books. Keep reading for information on their candles, mini candles, & wax tarts. My Youtube review video will be posted at the end for those of you who want to see the products in action.
Candles | $16.00
The top white layer is clean river water; the middle lavender layer is a floral blend; and the bottom purple layer is a mixture of flowers & water. There is no need to burn the candle down to smell each layer; it immediately smells clean and floral. If you like strongly scented candles that fill a room within minutes, this is not the product for you. It took an hour for me to smell the scent, and even then I had to remain within a foot or two to enjoy it. Once it is burnt, the candle’s scent is hidden by the smell of burnt wick. As time goes on, the scent comes back and gets stronger. The draw of this candle is definitely the aesthetic. The design, inspired by the lantern scene in the Disney film Tangled, is spot on. The white wax becomes transparent when burning and makes the candle appear as though it is a lantern. The effect is mesmerizing! If you are planning a Tangled party, think about investing in these candles and creating your very own “Floating Lanterns” scene.
• Find the candles here: https://anthologycandles.com/collections/candles
Mini Candles | $14 per sampler pack
Instead of purchasing more big candles, I got a sampler pack of four mini candles. Belle’s Library is aged library books, hint of leather, & wild roses. To me, it smells nutty with a hint of rose. My nose is obviously confusing the smell of old books for nuts. I don’t know of any other way to describe it. It just smells nutty! Mad Hatter’s Tea Party is bakery cakes with vanilla icing, chamomile tea, and a twist of cinnamon. I do smell cinnamon and occasionally vanilla but mostly an icee. I know that sounds crazy but it’s true! Part of Your World is crisp coastal breeze & warm golden sand. I smell a blend of vanilla & flowers, and the strength of the scent reminds me of Bath & Body Works products. Tink’s Flight is fresh verbena, sweet coconut, & tangy lime. I smell every single one of those notes. The scent is sweet & sour just like Tinker Bell. Time for the bad news. The wicks are folded down in the packaging so when it comes time to light them, zip zilch NADA! I had to trim the wicks a little bit and wipe them gently with a paper towel; I wasted a lot of matches before finally getting flames. Once lit, the candles look pretty but don’t smell at all. These sampler candles are fine if you plan on testing the scents without flame. It might be a better investment to know what scents you like and buy a few big candles.
• Find the mini candles here: https://anthologycandles.com/collections/sample-packs
Wax Tarts | $25 for 4 different scents
* Note: Wax tarts are cubes of scent-infused wax. Once placed in a warmer (e.g. Scentsy), the heat melts the wax and releases the scent.
I bought one sampler and received four different wax tarts. Rivendell is amber, oakmoss, twilight woods, & woodland foliage. I wish I could tell you that my dream of being a Middle Earth elf was fulfilled by this product. Alas, it smells like play-doh, and the warmer is no help at all. However, due to circumstances I cannot explain, the scent is improving. There is hope yet! Soaring Over is orange blossoms, orange groves, and salty sea breeze. The scent is inspired by the Disney park ride Soaring Over California. It smells of oranges and takes me right back to my childhood in Orange County. The Black Pearl is cannonball smoke, mildewy wood, musty “pirates” water, & salty sea breeze. I did not like this funky scent at first. All you smell is must, mildew, and smoke. Surprise of the year, it smells much more pleasant in the warmer. If you aren’t into scents that are clean, floral, and/or sweet, this scent might float your boat (get it?!). Wilderness Lodge is campfire and a forest tree mix of juniper, pine, & spruce. This spicy forest scent will be p-e-r-f-e-c-t for Christmastime. Overall, I am very happy with the scents I purchased. However, much like the candles, it takes an hour or more for the scent to be recognizable, and it does not fill the room; you have to be within a few feet of the warmer to enjoy the scent.
* Rivendell scent description courtesy of http://ritareviews.net/2015/11/anthology-candles-spotlight-lord-of-the-rings/ *
• Find the wax tarts here: https://anthologycandles.com/collections/wax-tarts
The novelty of Anthology Candles is attractive. I would recommend their products for two things:
1. The candles and wax tarts are best enjoyed in close proximity (e.g. bedside table or living room side table).
2. I have seen the candles used as decor all over Instagram, especially on bookshelves.
My overall experience was good. There are only a few changes I would suggest.
1. There are descriptions on the website for the candles but not the wax tarts. This works out fine if the wax tart happens to have a candle, but if it doesn’t, there is no way of knowing what the scent is. Also, the packaging gives no indication of the scent.
2. The mini candle sampler packs are not customizable. There are three packs available, each with a set group of candles. I am not sure of the possible complications, but it would be nice to have a customization option in the future.
3. The wax tarts can only be purchased in groups of four. Once again, a customization option would be nice in the future.
4. These products would be much more enjoyable and worth the money if the scents were stronger.
• My review video:
• If you’re interested in more information on Anthology Candles, here are some links to get you started:
Article – http://ritareviews.net/2015/10/the-craft-behind-the-candles-by-rheney-williams/
Etsy – https://www.etsy.com/shop/AnthologyCandles
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/anthologycandles/
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/anthologycandles/?hl=en
Twitter – https://twitter.com/anthologycandle
Website – https://anthologycandles.com
Subscribe to my blog to receive email notifications, and check out my other links listed below.
– Lauren Michele <3
Previous Post: DC vs Marvel
Previous Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v8O-rGV3hU
Art Blog: https://laurenmichelephotography.wordpress.com/
Lauren Michele’s MyWebRoom: http://www.mywebroom.com/room/laurenmicheleonline/#
Sign up for MyWebRoom: http://www.mywebroom.com
One thought on “Anthology Candles”