Image Source: http://abc.go.com/shows/the-wonderful-world-of-disney-disneyland-60
I know I know I know!! I talk about Disney A LOT. However, I couldn’t help writing a post about the Disneyland 60 celebration that aired on ABC tonight. Before I jump headfirst into all the amazing moments that took place, I want to mention two things that are not so good. Go ahead and call me a prude, goodie two-shoes, etc. I don’t care! I personally think that the revealing costumes in the opening dance number were inappropriate; this was a special in honor of a family friendly theme park, and families at home and in the park were watching. The second thing I want to mention isn’t bad, but it is somewhat of an elephant in the room and a detail that will most likely be mentioned by at least one person on the internet. Most Disney fans wont mind watching two hours of Disney-related television and freaking out over the nostalgia and memories. However, this two-hour special was more about Disney than Disneyland with the exception of a few interviews and fun facts throughout. I don’t really care, but the truth is the special was a tad bit unnecessary if you consider that the subject was supposed to be Disneyland. Moving on to the good stuff!
– Dance –
The “Part of Your World” dance number featuring Maddie Ziegler was short but beautiful. The flowy costumes, monochromatic blue stage, and underwater background set a tranquil, dreamy mood. Derek Hough lead a dance number set to “Step In Time.” I couldn’t help but shed a few tears when Dick Van Dyke stepped onto the stage and danced at the end.
– Music –
The musical performances were amazing! Here is a list of the songs performed in order:
• “Be Our Guest” – Pentatonix
• “When You Wish Upon a Star” – Jessie J
• “I Wan’na Be Like You” – Fall Out Boy
• “Circle of Life” – Elton John
• “Rainbow Connection” – Tori Kelly & Kermit the Frog
• “Let It Go” – Idina Menzel
• “Part of Your World” – Kelsea Ballerini
• “Friend Like Me” – Ne-Yo
• Star Wars Medley
• “Steve McQueen” – Little Big Town
• “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” – Gustavo Dudamel & The Los Angeles Philharmonic
• “Wonderful Crazy Night” – Elton John
– Non-Musical Highlights –
• Helen Mirren was one of the first presenters. Her grace & eloquence was in fine form and the perfect way to open the show. She’s not a Disney princess; she is an honorary Disney QUEEN! 👑
• During the “Modern Family” cast interview, hidden Mickeys were discussed. Being the geek that I am, I began to hyperventilate when I realized that hidden Mickeys were placed within the interview setting. They were eventually pointed out, making me feel super smart. 😉
• I must admit I got teary eyed during the Disney girls montage. Hearing famous lines from the diverse group & interviews from female celebrities impacted by female Disney characters was touching. 💕
• It was really cool to see a sneak peek of Star Wars land & the Shanghai Disneyland Park. Soon, Star Wars fanatics will be able to board the Millenium Falcon in California 🌠, and Disney princess enthusiasts will be able to see the largest Disney theme park castle in Shanghai 🏰.
• Last but certainly not least, my favorite part of the entire show which occurred early on. While walking around Disneyland, Josh Gad visited Walt Disney’s apartment and mentioned a lovely fact: When working inside the park, Walt Disney would keep his lamp by the window lit to let employees know he was watching to make sure everything was running smoothly. Now, in his honor, the lamp is lit at all times. 🌟
During financial troubles, Walt took a leap of faith and created a mouse. His creation continues to have a worldwide impact.
“You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.”
“The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.”
Now I desperately want to visit Disneyland. I hope you enjoyed this post readers. “See” you soon! :)
Subscribe to my blog to receive email notifications, and check out my other links listed below.
– Lauren Michele <3
Previous Post: Happy Birthday Pixar! | Part 1
Art Blog: https://laurenmichelephotography.wordpress.com/
Lauren Michele’s MyWebRoom: http://www.mywebroom.com/room/laurenmicheleonline/#
Sign up for MyWebRoom: http://www.mywebroom.com
One thought on “The Wonderful World of Disney Presents:”